Friday, 6 August 2021

KB Dubrava Emergency Room Opens After 288 Days of Being Covid Hospital

August the 6th, 2021 - After a long, hard 288 day slog of being used solely as a covid hospital, the Zagreb KB Dubrava emergency room is now open for all patients once again, with just four covid patients with severe clinical pictures currently being treated there at the time of writing.

As Poslovni Dnevnik writes, as of yesterday, after almost one entire year of caring for only covid patients with severe clinical pictures, the KB Dubrava emergency room has been reopened for all patients in the Eastern part of the City of Zagreb and the surrounding areas. The move marks a significant point in Croatia's own battle with the pandemic.

The currently much more favourable epidemiological situation across the Republic of Croatia and in Zagreb itself, and the reduction in the number of covid patients in hospital, enabled the KB Dubrava emergency room to finally open its doors and offer its medical services to all other patients in the Eastern part of the Croatian capital and beyond.

There are about 350 thousand such patients, and on average about 56 thousand examinations, 11 thousand emergency hospitalisations and more than three thousand emergency surgeries are performed in KB Dubrava.

"Everything is absolutely ready for the reception of patients with other issues. The enrollment of patients is at the counter where the administrative part is resolved, after that the patient goes to the triage itself where the category of urgency of the patient's admission is determined,'' said KB Dubrava's Sanja Kristo in conversation with RTL.

As stated, there are currently only four covid patients being treated for severe issues due to coronavirus infection at KB Dubrava (at the time of writing this article), and the hospital hopes that as autumn approaches, things won't take a turn for the worse again and turn the hospital back into a covid hospital housing hundreds of extremely unwell patients.

"KBC Zagreb, our largest institution, has formed its own covid department, they have their own intensive care unit, so I believe that a calmer autumn awaits us with more regular work," said the hospital's director Ivica Luksic. He added that he hopes there will be no need to go through what they went through again last year.

For more, follow our lifestyle section.

Sunday, 6 June 2021

Zagreb’s Hospital, Repurposed into COVID Clinic, to Get Back to Its Usual Business

ZAGREB, 6 June, 2021 - The clinical hospital Dubrava in the eastern part of the Croatian capital city, which was repurposed into the main hospital for treating COVID patients in the country during the pandemic, will resume its regular services as of Monday.

Doctor Jurica Maraković of the KB Dubrava hospital told the national broadcaster (HRT) on Sunday, that after treating only COVID patients for 217 days, the hospital would get back to its usual business as of Monday.

KB Dubrava's inpatient units and outpatient clinics are supposed to reopen their doors to patients.

Appointments for 300 non-COVID patients have been scheduled to Monday only.

Also, the hospital continues treating COVID patients and currently there are 110 patients hospitalised there. Of them 23 are placed on ventilators.

The reopening of all departments of the KB Dubrava ensues after Croatia started registering a decline in new coronavirus numbers and improvement in the epidemiological situation.

For more on COVID-19 in Croatia, follow TCN's dedicated page.

For more about Croatia, CLICK HERE.

Saturday, 5 December 2020

KB Dubrava Doctor: "We've Never Seen a Course of Disease Like This"

December the 5th, 2020 - A KB Dubrava doctor, Bruno Barsic, has described the ongoing situation at KB Dubrava, now known rather ominously as Zagreb's COVID hospital, and how those working there have never seen a disease take such a course before.

As Poslovni Dnevnik writes, Bruno Barsic, a KB Dubrava doctor, spoke for RTL Direkt about why healthy, young non-smokers are ending up in hospital needing oxygen and about other topics related to the spread of the novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2.

When asked what was happening on the tenth, eleventh or fourteenth day of this particular illness and why people's condition was deteriorating so abruptly, he said:

''Because this is the natural course the disease takes in what is, fortunately, a small percentage of patients. There are a lot of infected people, so then that percentage of course becomes higher. The course of the disease goes so that it begins as a flu-like stage. After about 5-6 days, you see the first stage of the worsening of the condition, and then it becomes pneumonia, oxygen is then required. For those who need 14, 15 litres of oxygen from the beginning, it's impossible for oxygen to enter the blood. The next stage of it growing yet worse in some patients is lung damage. The blood vessels dilate, then people's lung function worsens," he said.

He said the disease leaves long-lasting changes in the lungs. When asked if we are smarter now and if we know why young people get sick, he says:

"We aren't smarter now to know why this happens to young people. Maybe it's the amount of virus they've taken in. If you receive a smaller amount of the virus, you'll probably have a milder clinical picture. That's why there are masks to protect us. We haven't seen a disease take this sort of course before. We saw swine flu, that was also a new disease for us. But we haven't seen such long-term changes occur in the lungs, nor have we seen these consequences with which we don't know how long-term they're going to be,'' he says.

To the conclusion that treatment for SARS-CoV-2 lasts a very long time, he said:

''That all depends on the patient. Some people can go home in a couple of days, some need over 20 days. When it comes to drugs, we’re not much smarter. The drug we're talking about isn't particularly effective. Now there's a growing need for inhibitors," the KB Dubrava doctor concluded.

For the latest travel info, bookmark our main travel info article, which is updated daily

Read the Croatian Travel Update in your language - now available in 24 languages

Join the Total Croatia Travel INFO Viber community.

Friday, 30 October 2020

Medical Staff Protest Plan to Convert Zagreb's KB Dubrava into COVID Hospital

ZAGREB, October 30, 2020 - Doctors and nurses at Zagreb's KB Dubrava hospital held a protest rally on Friday because the hospital would be fully converted into an institution for the treatment of COVID positive patients.

Ivana Suton, the representative of the Nurses' Union at the hospital, said that the protest was not organised by any of the unions but by staff gathering spontaneously to express their discontent over the difficult situation considering the large influx of patients and the shortage of staff.

The protesters were also addressed by Silvio Basic, the new chairman of the hospital's management board and state secretary at the Ministry of Health. He said later that the protesters had drawn his attention to the problems troubling them, such as care for their own health and the health of patients, and the lack of information.

Basic said that all 80 or so patients not suffering from COVID would be transferred to other hospitals across the city so that KB Dubrava could become a COVID hospital when necessary, which would depend on the number of new cases.

Responding to a reporter's remark that this was precisely why the staff were protesting, because they did not want the hospital to become a COVID institution, Basic said he sympathised with them. "We are seeing this disease for the first time, no one is trained to treat it and, of course, people are scared. But we must be aware as medical workers that we have taken on this risk."

Basic said that efforts were being made to ensure the sufficient number of staff. "Five anaesthesiologists have arrived today, and four more pulmonologists are coming in the afternoon. More nurses are also coming. This is a dynamic process," he said, adding that the hospital had enough ventilators.

Sunday, 15 March 2020

Two Dubrava Zagreb Hospital Doctors Have Coronavirus, Minister Reveals Details

As Index writes on the 15th of March, 2020, it has been confirmed to the aforementioned publication that two KB Dubrava doctors have coronavirus. 

Croatian Prime Minister Plenkovic and Health Minister Beros addressed the public following a cabinet meeting.

"I can now confirm to you that there are two positive patients at KB Dubrava. The situation will continue to be kept under control. We have plans where we envisaged KB Dubrava to be the main centre. It's good that what happened at KB Dubrava has now accelerated our plans, even though we do have another centre,'' the minister said.

He said that those infected at that hospital had been in contact with other infected people.

"Plans have been in place for over two months now, all directors have been notified of the need to admit these patients. We're moving into emergency mode. Hospitals can accept patients from KB Dubrava. We're ready for a higher level. We also have more phases, a fourth and a fifth,'' the minister assured.

The Minister added that the level of defense would be raised to a higher level and that we are now on the threshold of that.

"We will adapt the system. The enemy is small and invisible, but I believe we're going to find an answer to it," the minister added.

The minister added that the level of defense would be raised to a higher level and that Croatia is now on the threshold of that. "We're discussing quarantine, let's deal with that accordingly. We're choosing activation measures. We have the answer to everything, everything in its own time," he said when asked if Croatia was now on the path of complete quarantine.

In Croatia, 49 people have tested positive for coronavirus. These include the aforementioned KB Dubrava doctors.

Make sure to follow our dedicated section for more on coronavirus in Croatia.

Thursday, 9 January 2020

Croatian Boy Walks After Successful Brain Implant at Dubrava Clinic

The neurosurgery team at Dubrava Clinical Hospital has achieved another success. A 10-year-old Croatian boy from Dalmatia, who was paralyzed due to a rare disease, has received a deep brain stimulator implant. Just three months after surgery, the boy is walking.

After a five-year search, the parents of the 10-year-old boy finally learned about his diagnosis. A rare disease, dystonia, is a condition in which the brain has no control over muscular activity and was the cause of all their son's problems. They sought help from Professor Chudy at KB Dubrava (Dubrava Clinical Hospital), according to Ruža Ištuk/Dnevnik/HRT on January 8, 2020.

Their son underwent surgery three months ago, and they say that the results are amazing. The boy is speaking more clearly, sits without help, can control his movements and walk.

“I feel wonderful. It's like a new birthday for me. I don't know how to describe the feeling as a parent. It's a big deal to have a child who has a (medical) problem, and then everything gets better. It’s phenomenal, said the boy's parent.

croatian_walks_brain_implant_04.jpg

Professor Darko Chudy, head of the Department of Neurosurgery at KB Dubrava, said he expects the boy to become independent and to have the same life opportunities as other boys.

"This stimulator works like a trigger which enables muscles to follow orders," Chudy explained.

croatian_walks_brain_implant_03.jpg

“There’s no better feeling. It motivates you to keep going and become even better at what we do so that our patients are happy and satisfied, said Fadi Almahariq, neurosurgeon at KB Dubrava.

croatian_walks_brain_implant_02.jpg

Veronica Paradžhik, the boy's physical therapist, is also delighted as the improvements are becoming increasingly visible.

"It was only after the stimulator was installed that physical therapy sessions began to show results," Paradžhik revealed.

The boy is now undergoing spa therapy and his condition is expected to further improve.

 

Follow our Lifestyle page to stay updated on Croatian medical advancements.

Search