Work Begins on HRK 1.7bn Project to Improve Rijeka's Water Management Infrastructure

By 1 December 2021

ZAGREB, 1 Deceember, 2021 - Work on the project to improve municipal water management infrastructure in the Rijeka area, worth HRK 1.7 billion, will begin this month, a press conference in this northern Adriatic city announced on Wednesday.

The project is co-financed with HRK 1.2 billion (71.33%) from the Operational Programme Competitiveness and Cohesion 2014-2020, and the remaining HRK 505 million (28.67%) will come from national sources, namely 185.1 million from the Ministry of Economy and Sustainable Development and the state-owned water management company Hrvatske Vode, and 134.6 million from the municipal water and sewage management company.

The project provides for the construction of a waste-water treatment plant, the reconstruction of about 217 kilometres of the sewerage network and 125 pumping stations, and work on about 100 kilometres of the public water supply network in the city of Rijeka and the nearby communities of Kastav, Viškovo, Čavle and Jelenje.

The project is expected to increase connection to the public waste-water drainage system, improve the operation of the existing system and increase the quality of water supply. Connection to the public sewerage system will be increased from the present 75 per cent to about 92 per cent.

The project has been under preparation since 2012 and will be carried out over the next five years.

(€1 = HRK 7.5)