Marin Čilić has canceled his ATP World Tour appearance in the Masters 1000 series which will be held in Cincinnati next week, reports Gol.hr on August 11, 2017.
Čilić is said to have pulled out due to a leg injury, which also forced him to step out of this week's Montreal Tournament Coupe Rogers.
"After I had to give up on the ATP Masters 1000 tournament in Montreal, ahead of me is another unpleasant task because I need to announce that I have to withdraw from the Cincinnati tournament," said Čilić.
"I was really eager to play in Cincinnati, where I won my first-career ATP World Tour Masters 1000 singles title last year and where I’ve had some of the best performances of my career, but I still don't feel at 100% to compete at the top level and to defend my title there," Marin added.
Because Čilić cannot participate in Cincinnati, he will lose out on 1,000 points because he won the tournament last year. A drop in the ATP rankings will inevitably follow.
"I started with preparations, and my progress is visible, but I do not have enough time to prepare for Cincinnati and to be completely ready to play there, but I am confident that I will be back in action and cannot wait for the upcoming US Open. One more thank you for all of the support I have received since I have suffered from problems with my injury. I'll see you soon,” Čilić concluded.
The US Open will begin later this month from August 28-September 10, 2017 in New York.
Marin Čilić is currently ranked number 6 on the ATP Rankings with 5,155 points. In first place is Andy Murray with 7,750 points.
Translated from Gol.hr