This church is one of the most instantly recognizable symbols of Zagreb because of its colourful glazed tile roof. The church, originally from the 13th ct was reconstructed in the 14th ct, when it obtained its present-day Gothic features. The roof was constructed in 1880 and it shows the medieval coat of arms of Croatia (upper left side), Dalmatia (upper right side) and Slavonia on the left side of the roof, and the emblem of Zagreb on the right. The animal that you can see in the coat of arms of Slavonia is pine marten (kuna) – the animal Croatian currency got its name from.
Even though the roof is the most colourful part of the church, artistically speaking, the most valuable part is its south portal, the richest Gothic portal in South Eastern Europe. It shows the statues of Joseph and Mary with the infant Jesus, St. Mark and the Lion, and the Twelve Apostles.
The interior contains sculptures by the famous Croatian sculptor Ivan Meštrović, while the walls were painted by Croatian painter Jozo Kljaković.
The Church is open at mass time: at 7:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. Mon – Sat, and 10:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Sundays.
In addition to the church bearing its name, St. Mark’s Square also contains two other important buildings: Sabor (the Croatian parliament) on the east side of the square and Banski dvori (originally the seat of ban, the historic figure performing the function of governor in Croatia, currently home of the Croatian Government) on the west side.